4 cops booked for murder after man dies in custody

Was Picked Up For Questioning In Connection With A Sexual Harassment Complaint



Lucknow: Four policemen, including an inspector and a sub-inspector, were booked after a middle-aged man detained for alleged involvement in a sexual harassment case died in police custody at Gola police station of Gorakhpur late Wednesday evening.

Based on a complaint filed by the family of the deceased, Vinay Pandey (42), police lodged a murder case against the in-charge of the police station, a sub-inspector and three other unidentified policemen. Vinay was detained in connection with a complaint of sexual harassment related to a 10-year-old girl.

Those booked include station house officer (SHO), Gola, AK Mishra, police outpost in-charge Chini Mill area and two other unidentified cops along with others who had accused Pandey of sexual harassment. They have been booked under the charges of IPC’s sections 302 (murder), 504 (provoke breach of peace) and 147 (rioting).

Circle officer, Gola, Ratneshwar Singh said, “At around 5 pm on Wednesday, a group led by one Aryan, son of Bhola, and Gulshan, both villagers, along with about 15 others, reached the residence of accused Vinay Pandey. The altercation escalated, with verbal abuse directed at Vinay and his brother Chandraprakash. The catalyst for the conflict was an allegation of sexual harassment involving Vinay, to which Chandraprakash issued an apology to defuse the situation.”

However, tension mounted further when police officials, including Gola SHO AK Mishra, arrived at the scene at around 6 pm. A thorough search ensued, ultimately leading to Vinay’s apprehension and subsequent detention at the Gola police station, said the CO.

“During detention when he complained of uneasiness, we took him to the nearest community health centre, but he died,” the CO said.

However, Chandraprakash alleged that despite pleas for medical assistance, Vinay allegedly received no aid upon reaching the police station.

“The SHO of Gola police station purportedly fled the scene following Vinay’s death, leaving us devastated,” said Chandraprakash in his FIR to the police.

Later, Chandraprakash staged a sit-in and made a plea to the police to book the accused individuals, including Aryan, Gulshan and the SHO of Gola police station, along with all personnel involved.

Senior superintendent of police, Gorakhpur, Gaurav Grover said that senior officers reached the spot, pacified the family and booked the cops. “We have also ordered a magisterial probe in the incident,” he said.

Grover added that the post-mortem examination report found no injury marks and the cause of his death could not be ascertained. “The panel has recommended for viscera preservation,” said the officer.

Back to top button